12.11.11

faux cheese can be fab

Open mouth, insert foot. After talking it up that I get serious in the kitchen, the very next posting is in praise of a restaurant. Yes, I have tofu marinating for a delicious Asian meal (I have lots of CSA cabbage to get through), but tonight I wanted my favorite Philadelphian pizza.


In a city that is chock-full of pizza joints, the standout is Blackbird Pizzeria. I'm certainly not a vegan and the last animal product I'd willingly give up is cheese. Somehow, at Blackbird, the fact that the cheese is not animal derived is far from being a worry. The crust is thin and chewy in the right places, sauce isn't overpowering, and the toppings are artfully chosen. The flavor combinations make for some of the best specialty pies I've ever had. 



Taking a bite out of this slice of veggie supreme was paramount to photography.
Unfortunately they didn't have my favorite, the fungi, out for slices tonight, so a slice of veggie supreme and nacho had to suffice. I don't think I've ever had pizza with avocado slices baked into the cheese [which is a shame, more places should try it]; they perfectly balanced out the [surprising] spiciness from the jalapenos. 

Mmmm... nacho.
It's important to note that Blackbird also has one of the best cheesesteaks in town. Not the greasy, yet dry, tasteless pile on a bun you'll find in South Philly, but a winning sandwich of seitan, onions, peppers, and daiya cheese. Add a little hot sauce (or catsup for Zach) and you've got a mouthwatering meal. Not to mention you won't feel like a disgusting slob post cheez-wiz binge. Instead enjoy a few hours deserved vegan-elitism, especially if you have to walk by all those sad shmucks waiting in line for bad cheesesteaks on South Street. 

507 S 6th St
Philadelphia, PA 19147
215.625.6660


No comments:

Post a Comment