7.9.11

surprisingly productive day - thanks speed!

Well, not really. We ran out of Sudafed last night, so I can't quite credit pseudoephedrine with my spurt of productivity this evening. I can justly blame my craving for bad Chinese delivery on this cold. I hope I wouldn't consume a quart of various Asian soups otherwise.

What the malady has provided me with is the time to finish two books and further cement my place in the world as evil book reviewer.

Excuse me, I must go sneeze.




You Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the PoolYou Don't Sweat Much for a Fat Girl: Observations on Life from the Shallow End of the Pool by Celia Rivenbark
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Some days there's nothing better than a snarky book and a few mindless hours of enjoying the shortcomings of others. I'm feeling especially fond of such activities as I'm feeling under the weather and certainly in need of an easy pick-me-up.

With thoughtful anecdotes about the future of sex-starved Chinese bachelors and numerous TLC reality star digs, Celia Rivenbark delivers humor in nearly every line. Think Chelsea Handler, but as a good Southern church-goer. That sort of takes all the fun out of Chelsea, but for those who can't handle the more obscene, You Don't Swear Much for a Fat Girl has them covered.

Comes complete with a couple Sandra-esque pseudo-homemade recipes as well. Though I don't think Paula Deen would quite approve of a pound cake that didn't include a single pat of butter...


Disclosure: The above book was provided to me by St. Martin's Press through the Goodreads First Reads program. The opinions are all my own.


The Glitter SceneThe Glitter Scene by Monika Fagerholm
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The follow-up to The American Girl, Monica Fagerholm's The Glitter Scene, sparkles a bit brighter than it's older sibling. Which makes you wonder: As the entirety of the two lengthy novels deal with siblings and family relationships - could it be? Is Fagerholm trying to play the two novels against each other? If this is the case, then expect The American Girl to commit suicide shortly. No, not the actual American Girl, she's already dead. [And don't fret, that's no spoiler. Fagerholm has an interesting habit of telling you everything that has happened and then retraces her steps as to why.]

All joking aside, I really did enjoy The Glitter Scene despite being at first wary of it's size. Having read some reviews that warn against waiting too long between the books, I dove in quickly. Yes, sometimes the 1000 pages of repetitive nature gets you down, but underneath it all is a very well connected story.

Fagerholm must have one hell of a storyboard set up in her office, because the interconnectedness of the characters is indicative of a seriously masterminded plan.


Disclosure: The above book was provided to me by Other Press through the Goodreads First Reads program. The opinions are all my own.

Now, I'm going to atone for my choice of crappy books sins and go read some good ol' Hindu Upanisads. How cavalier.

No comments:

Post a Comment